While staying with my friend in Whangarei she made us a lovely pumpkin and onion flan for dinner. I asked if I could have the recipe and have already made it a couple times since. Once for my parents and earlier this week for our dinner. It was quite a success and I will be making it again.
2 tbsp oil
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 onions sliced
1 cup grated pumpkin (as pumpkins seem to be hard to source here in the UK except those bright orange virtually inedible pumpkins available in October I have used butternut successfully)
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 tbsp sesame seeds.
1. Lay one sheet of filo pastry on a clean board and brush with a little oil. Cover with a second sheet and continue layering in this manner. (If using puff pastry, only one sheet needed)
2. Line 24 cm flan dish with the pastry, trimming 2 cm above the top of the flan dish.
3. Beat the eggs, milk, sour cream and nutmeg together.
4. Place onion, pumpkin and cheese in the flan dish and cover with the egg mixture. Sprinkle on sesame seeds.
5. Bake at 190 C for 40 - 50 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.