After working some crazy hours into the early morning my husband finally finished stripping the wallpaper and preparing the walls in our bedroom just in time for the decorator to come in on Monday morning to start work.
Some before shots of the walls.
Ceiling and coving/cornice painted first.
Above the wardrobe painted.
The door alcove, door frames and skirting boards were also painted.
First wall papered - the wallpaper isn't as yellow as it seems in these photos.
The 'fixed' headboard (one of 'Bob the Builder's great ideas!) was painted to brighten it up. I would have loved to have had this removed, but knowing how other things have been fixed on in this house, it would have been a major job and I suspect some re-plastering would have been needed to have been done as well.
This is a bit more like the true colour.
All walls finished by Wednesday!
Thursday we went down the road to the carpet shop to choose some samples. I was pretty certain which one I wanted even before I bought them home. The lighter blue, the first on the left.
I didn't change my mind.
Today I cleaned the windows and frames. The will need painting in the spring when we can leave the windows open for a few days to dry properly.
I scrubbed the curtain rails and attachments, they came up almost as good as new and then reattached them to the walls.
One of the hems had come undone on one curtain so I restitched that. We will need new curtains, but these will do until we can afford to do so. They could do with being shorter, but as they will be changed I am going to leave them the length the are.
I did the same with the bay window, but forgot to take a photo!
Next I started rolling back the horrid foam backed carpet - the foam had turned to piles of dust underneath it. Pretty horrid!
The foam that was stuck to the floor was also scrapped up.
All the carpet is up now apart from a bit underneath the wardrobe - not the same colour, it must have been the original carpet and 'Bob the Builder' who used to own our house (yes he was a builder and his name was Bob) must have built the wardrobes half on top of the old carpet - he didn't even clear up the broken plaster that had fallen on to the floor from the walls! Like everything in this house, it is not as easy or straightforward as you think. The legs of the wardrobe are ON the carpet at the back but not the front, so not as easy to remove as you would think. Good thing hubby has got fairly slim arms as he is going to have to lie down on the floor and reach in with a knife to cut the carpet up.
Once that is done we will vacuum again and then mop the floor to make sure it is completely clean ready for the new carpet to be laid, which will probably be in about two and a half to three weeks time. In the meantime our lounge will have to continue to look like a furniture warehouse as there is no point moving the drawer units back in until such time as the carpet is down,
While clearing out underneath the wardrobes, we found my framed music qualification certificates - not sure why they ended up under there. I've cleaned the glass and the frames and I think once I have my sewing studio cleared I might put them up in there.